We’re kicking it old fashioned at the moment with a Southern favourite that was a staple at our gatherings rising up: 7 Layer Salad. Made with lettuce, peas, tomatoes, bacon, a candy mayo-based dressing, cheddar cheese, and hard-boiled eggs all layered collectively, it stars at any potluck or vacation.
Why You’ll Love This Basic Salad Recipe
- Stunner. In relation to presentation, conventional 7 layer salad is a show-stealer. Each lovely layer stands out.
- Enjoyable and Completely different. Layer salad is just not tossed; company use lengthy tongs to succeed in down by the salad from the highest and seize a few of each layer. It’s surprising and pleasant.
- Cool and Refreshing. A salad you stack in a terrific massive trifle bowl would possibly sound odd, however with that cool lettuce and creamy dressing, at a sizzling summer season potluck or a feast, it hits the spot.
- Make-Forward Pleasant. 7 layer salad may be made the evening earlier than, so it’s supreme for entertaining.
- Retro (in a Good Approach). If you happen to grew up within the Midwest, seeing a “salad” that accommodates extra bacon, eggs, cheese, and mayo than precise greens most likely received’t shock you (proper this option to Wholesome Potato Salad, Ramen Salad, and Shrimp Pasta Salad in the event you please). It’s a nostalgic throwback that hits the spot!
About This 7 Layer Salad Recipe
Seven-layer salad is a well-liked potluck and picnic dish, due to its visually interesting layers, various flavors and textures, and its crowd-pleasing elements (cheese, bacon, and eggs, anybody?).
What constitutes every of the seven layers varies.
In actual fact, even “conventional” sources for a layered salad recipe (Kraft, Betty Crocker, Pioneer Girl) don’t completely agree.
The beneath is predicated on the 7 layer salad my household had at potlucks rising up.
If you happen to’re a longtime lover of layer salad, I do know you’ll respect the recent take I’ve on it right here.
- I swapped the iceberg lettuce for extra flavorful and nutritious romaine.
- I added further veggies for shade and crunch.
- The normally bland dressing is amped up with Parmesan and garlic.
For many who respect their salads on the lighter/extra wholesome facet, you’ll love my model too.
- As a substitute of mayo (or Miracle Whip) and sugar within the dressing, I used Greek yogurt and honey.
- I lower down on the bacon just a little. The unique requires a full pound, which (belief me, I by no means thought I’d say this) actually was an excessive amount of. It disrupted the concord of the opposite elements.
- For cheese, this recipe opts for an additional sharp cheddar. You will get away with much less however nonetheless have the full-on style impact.
How you can Make 7 Layer Salad
- Romaine. Crisp, cool, and durable, romaine is the perfect selection for this salad. Its texture can stand as much as the hefty load of different elements and received’t develop into soggy as rapidly.
- Bacon. Crispy, smoky bacon is a must have part of this salad. Bacon additionally helps make this salad extra filling. You can also swap the bacon for diced ham for the same impact.
- Exhausting Boiled Eggs. A creamy complement to the crispy bacon. The eggs add wealthy taste, protein, and wholesome fat.
- Crimson Onion. Soaking the purple onion in water first removes its harshness, leaving only a trace of chunk. You may as well swap inexperienced onions, no have to soak.
- Tomatoes. Juicy cherry tomatoes add a beautiful sweetness to the salad and style improbable with the eggs and bacon.
- Frozen Peas. A simple manner so as to add extra veggies. Whereas not everybody loves inexperienced peas in salad, right here they work.
- Further Sharp Cheddar Cheese. The daring, tacky taste of additional sharp cheddar doesn’t get misplaced amongst the opposite elements.
- Greek Yogurt Dressing. A easy mixture of Greek yogurt, Parmesan, honey (my swap for white sugar), apple cider vinegar, salt, and garlic powder. It’s creamy, tacky, tangy, salty, and just a little candy.
- Get Prepared. Prepare dinner the bacon, hard-boil the eggs, and soak the purple onion.
- Make the Dressing. It is going to be thick and creamy.
- Layer the Greens. They make the recent base.
- Add Some Coloration. Tomatoes and purple onions add a reasonably stripe.
- Layer the Peas and Eggs. It’s lookin’ purty!
- Smear the Dressing Over the High. It is going to be a thick layer.
- Add the Good Stuff. Bacon and shredded cheese.
- Chill. For no less than 1 hour. Then ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Cowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate leftover salad for as much as 2 days.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day prematurely, laborious boil the eggs, cook dinner the bacon, and soak/chop the purple onion. You may as well chop the tomatoes and romaine and shred the cheddar cheese. Refrigerate every ingredient till you’re prepared to complete the recipe.
What to Serve with 7 Layer Salad
Recipe Ideas and Methods
- Play Round. Use this recipe as a place to begin and be happy to swap in different greens (or do greater than 7 layers!). For instance, you are able to do a 7 layer salad with cauliflower florets, broccoli, celery, cucumber, corn, purple bell peppers, and even avocado!
- Get that Bacon Crispy. You need it so as to add some good crunch. See Baked Bacon within the Oven and Air Fryer Bacon for straightforward strategies to cook dinner excellent, crispy bacon.
- Don’t Skip the Eggs and Bacon. Sadly, I wouldn’t suggest making this a vegan or vegetarian 7 layer salad, because the bacon and laborious boiled eggs are actually what make the salad style its finest.
- Get Forward. This salad is straightforward, however it has numerous parts. Save your self some stress and laborious boil the eggs the day earlier than. (Really helpful methodology: Instant Pot Exhausting Boiled Eggs.)
For the Salad:
- 8 ounces center-cut bacon
- 4 giant eggs
- 2/3 cup chopped purple onion
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce from about 2 romaine hearts (12 ounces chopped romaine)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 (10-ounce) bundle frozen peas thawed
- 2/3 cup freshly shredded further sharp cheddar cheese use yellow cheddar for essentially the most shade distinction
- Prepare dinner and crumble or chop the bacon (see Baked Bacon within the Oven and Air Fryer Bacon for straightforward strategies). Place the purple onion in a small bowl and canopy with chilly water. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes, then drain and pat dry.
Exhausting boil the eggs: Convey a medium pot of salted water to a boil. With a slotted spoon, gently decrease the eggs into the boiling water. Alter the warmth to take care of a mild, regular simmer. Let the eggs simmer at this low, light boil for 8 minutes for barely jammy yolks (or cook dinner as much as 9 minutes for absolutely set yolks). Within the meantime, put together a big ice bathtub. Use the slotted spoon to rigorously switch the eggs to the ice bathtub. Gently crack the shells with the again of the spoon, then return them to the water (this makes them simpler to peel). Peel and chop.
Put together the dressing: in a medium bowl, stir collectively the Greek yogurt, Parmesan, honey, vinegar, salt, and garlic powder. Style and regulate seasoning as desired.
Place the romaine within the backside of a LARGE, flat, clear serving bowl—you need to have the ability to see the layers and unfold them evenly; a trifle bowl works effectively when you’ve got one.
Subsequent, construct the salad layers, spreading every evenly. Begin with the tomatoes and purple onions.
Add the peas and eggs.
Unfold the dressing evenly excessive. Layer on the cheese, then the bacon. Refrigerate for no less than 1 hour (or in a single day).
To serve, use lengthy salad tongs or the same lengthy spoon that may mean you can attain down by the layers. Make sure that every serving has just a little of all the things.
- TIP: Relying upon the dimensions of your serving bowl, chances are you’ll want to regulate the portions of every layer. Use your judgment and have enjoyable with it.
- TO STORE: Cowl and refrigerate leftover 7 layer salad for as much as 2 days. Any unused dressing could also be saved for 2-3 days within the fridge in an hermetic container or mason jar.
Serving: 1(of 10)Energy: 236kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 13gFats: 15gSaturated Fats: 6gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 6gTrans Fats: 0.04gLdl cholesterol: 94mgPotassium: 404mgFiber: 3gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 3947IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 164mgIron: 2mg
Be part of at the moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.
Incessantly Requested Questions
I feel the perfect dish for a 7 layer salad is a trifle bowl (like this one). If you happen to don’t personal a trifle bowl, any giant, flat-bottomed clear glass bowl (like this enjoyable choice) will work tremendous.
To hurry up the prep time for this salad, you should purchase laborious boiled eggs from the grocery retailer.
Personally, I feel ranch dressing by itself could be too skinny for a seven layer salad, which wants a dressing thick sufficient to face as its personal layer with out dripping into the leaves. If you happen to’d like a ranch model, use this Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip for the dressing, or stir a tablespoon or two from a packet of ranch seasoning into Greek yogurt or bitter cream and use it because the dressing.