Asparagus Casserole is a bridge between seasons. With a wealthy and creamy sauce, crisp topping, and tender recent asparagus, it’s a wedding between cold-weather consolation and the happiest harbingers of spring.
Fellow asparagus lovers, along with Air Fryer Asparagus, creamy Asparagus Soup, and Straightforward Asparagus Tart, right this moment’s recipe belongs in your springtime asparagus recipe to-do record.
A seasonal riff on my common Wholesome Inexperienced Bean Casserole, this wholesome asparagus casserole is the right solution to say farewell to winter and hey to the hotter months forward.
Like my favourite wholesome casserole recipes, it is a from-scratch casserole that ditches the cream of mushroom soup and makes use of easy elements you seemingly have already got round.
5 Star Overview
“Since I made this, my entire household now loves asparagus. My children even wished seconds!”
— Lindsey —
Why Make Asparagus Casserole
I initially envisioned this tacky asparagus casserole recipe as an Easter facet dish or Mom’s Day brunch addition.
That mentioned, it’s really easy to make (and so creamy and delish!) you don’t want to attend for a particular occassion to make it .
Identical to this Broccoli Bake, it’s a enjoyable, yummy solution to eat your veggies.
- Faster and Simpler. In contrast to inexperienced bean casserole, that is one creamy vegetable casserole that doesn’t require blanching earlier than including the greens to the sauce.
- Seasonal. Whereas asparagus may be discovered year-round, one of the best spears are present in spring. The season is brief, so seize some asparagus whereas it’s in season.
- Sneaky. Are vegetable haters in your home? I discover disguising greens underneath a cloak of creamy wonderment and crispy crunch (hey, Cauliflower Casserole) is a surefire solution to please even probably the most
Methods to Make Asparagus Casserole
Like a summertime Zucchini Casserole, what makes this simple asparagus casserole recipe particular is its use of recent elements.
Skip asparagus casserole cream of mushroom soup-style.
The truth is, with this recipe, you possibly can skip canned asparagus casserole of any variety.
Whereas I’m all for a sensible shortcut, right here, utilizing unprocessed, healthful elements pays off in each chew.
- Asparagus. This low-calorie veggie is the delicious star of our casserole and these different asparagus recipes. It pairs superbly with mushrooms and the tacky breadcrumb topping. Plus, asparagus is wealthy in fiber, nutritional vitamins, and folate.
- Mushrooms. Mushrooms deliver earthy, umami goodness to the casserole, giving it deep taste. They’re additionally stuffed with fiber, antioxidants, and nutritional vitamins.
- Milk. 2% milk supplies the casserole with the right quantity of richness with out the necessity for heavy cream.
- Flour. Helps thicken the casserole filling and makes it luscious.
- Spices. Salt, pepper, dried basil, and nutmeg give the casserole scrumptious taste. A little bit of garlic could be a pleasant fragrant addition too.
- Greek Yogurt. Utilizing Greek yogurt to thicken casseroles is one in every of my favourite wholesome hacks. It’s creamy, tangy, and full of protein.
- Contemporary Basil. Basil is a spectacular completion that provides fantastic freshness.
- Crispy Panko Topping. A mix of entire wheat panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan, lemon zest, and melted butter creates our crispy casserole topping. It’s completely tacky and flavorful!
Casserole Topping Choices
Crunchy panko breadcrumbs are my go-to for casserole toppings, however they’re actually not the one possibility! Listed below are a couple of concepts for methods to prime your asparagus casserole:
- Fried Onions. French fried onions are a casserole basic, and so they’d be completely scrumptious on prime of this asparagus casserole.
- Bacon. The last word crowd-pleaser! End off the casserole with some crumbed items of Oven Baked Bacon or Air Fryer Bacon.
- Nuts. For an additional crunchy end, attempt topping your casserole with chopped nuts. Walnuts, almonds, or pine nuts could be tasty right here.
- Stir the Parmesan topping collectively.
- Sauté the asparagus, onion, and mushrooms.
- Stir within the flour, till it disappears. Pour within the milk to make the sauce.
- As soon as the sauce has thickened, take away it from the warmth. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, and recent basil.
- Switch the asparagus combination to a baking dish.
- Add the breadcrumb combination on prime. Broil to toast the topping. Let stand for a couple of minutes, then ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate the casserole in an hermetic container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or gently within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftover casserole in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Plan Tip
The casserole may be assembled with out the topping as much as 1 day prematurely or frozen as much as 1 month prematurely; ensure you might be utilizing a freezer-safe baking dish. Cowl tightly and refrigerate (or freeze).
When able to bake, let come to room temperature (if the dish is within the freezer, place it within the fridge the evening earlier than to thaw). Sprinkle with the breadcrumb topping and bake as directed.
What to Serve with Asparagus Casserole
Need assistance placing collectively your Easter, Mom’s Day, or Asparagus Appreciation Day (okay, I made this one up) menu plan?
Pair this simple casserole with a number of of those delectable choices.
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Baking Dish. Certainly one of my most-loved kitchen instruments.
- Dutch Oven. The right device for making ready the casserole elements.
- Citrus Juicer. My #1 hack for simply juicing lemons and limes.
Stunning Baking Dish
This high-quality baking dish can be your go-to for casseroles and a lot extra. It’s heavy-duty and can final a lifetime.
Asparagus season, we welcome you, casserole model!
Regularly Requested Questions
I’ve not experimented with a substitution for Greek yogurt, so you’ll be rolling the cube if you happen to determine to attempt it. In the event you’re searching for a spot to start out, you could possibly attempt bitter cream or your favourite non-dairy yogurt.
Positive. Whereas I actually benefit from the crunchy topping, if you happen to want to depart it off attributable to dietary restrictions or private choice, be at liberty. You possibly can merely prime it with Parmesan cheese or benefit from the casserole bare too. In the event you’re searching for a substitute for breadcrumbs, Ritz crackers could also be a superb possibility too.
Mushy asparagus was seemingly overcooked. Be mindful skinny asparagus stalks could prepare dinner extra rapidly than thick asparagus ones. For greatest outcomes, select stalks near the identical thickness and modify the cooking time accordingly to make sure your asparagus cooks completely.
- 1/2 cup entire wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Zest of 1 small lemon plus 1 tablespoon juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 kilos asparagus trimmed and minimize into 1-inch items
- 1 medium onion very thinly sliced
- 8 ounces child bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced (don’t use plain white mushrooms, as they don’t have a lot taste)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 7 ounces 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped recent basil plus further for garnish
Place a rack within the higher third of your oven and preheat to broil. Flippantly coat a 2-quart, broiler-safe baking dish with nonstick spray.
In a small bowl, stir collectively the panko, Parmesan, and lemon zest. Soften 2 tablespoons of the butter, pour excessive, then stir to moisten. Put aside.
In the meantime, warmth the oil and remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a big, huge saucepan or Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add the asparagus, onion, and mushrooms. Cook dinner, stirring regularly, till the onion is mushy and golden and the mushrooms brown and have given up their liquid, about quarter-hour.
Sprinkle the flour excessive. Cook dinner, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes extra, till all the flour turns golden and no white bits stay.
Slowly add the milk a couple of splashes at a time, stirring between every addition to stop lumps from forming. Enhance the warmth to medium excessive.
Stir within the salt, pepper, dried basil, and nutmeg. Cook dinner and stir, permitting the sauce to bubble, operating a wood spoon or rubber spatula alongside the underside of the pan to stop sticking.
Proceed cooking and stirring till the sauce reduces and thickens to resemble a creamy gravy, about 8 to 10 minutes. Run the spoon or spatula alongside the underside very regularly on the finish to ensure that your sauce isn’t sticking.
Take away the sauce from the warmth. Stir within the Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and recent basil. Style and modify the seasoning as desired.
Spoon the combination into the ready baking dish and unfold into a fair layer.
Sprinkle the breadcrumb combination excessive.
Switch to the oven and broil, watching intently, till the casserole is effervescent and starting to brown on prime, 1 to three minutes, relying in your broiler. Let stand for five to 10 minutes previous to serving. Garnish with further recent basil.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: The casserole may be assembled with out the topping by means of Step 9 as much as 1 day prematurely or frozen as much as 1 month prematurely; ensure you might be utilizing a freezer-safe baking dish. Cowl tightly and refrigerate. When able to bake, let come to room temperature (if the dish is within the freezer, place it within the fridge the evening earlier than to thaw). Sprinkle with breadcrumb topping and bake as directed.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate casserole in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze leftover casserole in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 10)Energy: 140kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 8gFats: 7gSaturated Fats: 4gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 16mgPotassium: 384mgFiber: 2gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 905IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 146mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of right this moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.