This can be a nostalgic recipe for me. My Nan’s sherry trifle.
We’re speaking jam swiss roll and recent raspberries in jelly, topped with extra swiss roll (soaked in sherry this time) and good outdated Chook’s custard. All completed with a pillowy layer of sweetened whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles!
- Nope – I do not use women finger sponges in my trifle
- Nope – I do not make the custard from scratch
- Nope – I do not prime with posh cherries or connoisseur chocolate curls – it is sprinkles all the best way. Though a crushed up Cadbury flake can be allowed.
To be truthful, I do love a complicated trifle made with all of these goodies above. There are such a lot of variations and adaptions on the market, and I am prepared to offer them ALL a go.
Besides possibly that one Rachel from Buddies made with minced beef and bananas? That is a tough no.
However as we speak I used to be feeling nostalgic for my Nan’s sherry trifle. The best way she used to make it once we went spherical for an enormous buffet household dinner.
My grandad was at all times the cook dinner within the household, however trifle was 100% my nan’s area.
I believe she could have gone a little heavier on the sherry then I do (i.e in all probability double) however this recipe took my proper again there.
📋 What do we want for this basic trifle?
- Jam Swiss rolls – those that ONLY have jam in, not those with cream in too.
- Raspberries – recent or frozen.
- Jelly cubes – you could possibly use the powdered jelly sachets, I believe the non-sugar-free jelly cubes style higher although.
- Sherry – you’ll be able to go away this out if you happen to do not wish to use alcohol.
- Custard powder, together with milk and sugar to make up the custard. Sure, you should use ready-made custard (and even make your individual from scratch), however Chook’s custard powder was the best way my nan made it. I take advantage of rather less milk than the Chook’s recipe suggests, so it is a bit extra agency, to carry the trifle collectively higher (no, i am not affiliated with Chook’s custard, by the best way).
- Whipping cream, together with confectioners’s sugar and vanilla extract so as to add further sweetness to the cream.
- Sprinkles – necessary for all 80’s throw-back trifles.
I really like the layering of an excellent trifle. I believe the swiss rolls lined across the trifle dish look so fairly once they’re suspended in that pretty jelly!
👩🍳PRO TIP You should definitely give your self sufficient time for the jelly to set. It’s going to take not less than 4 hours. I desire to let the jelly set in a single day, then stick with it with the remainder of the trifle the following day.
🍽️ What to serve it with
For me, trifles are both a dessert served on the finish of an enormous Sunday roast, or an excellent addition to any buffet – particularly a Christmas trifle! Listed here are another recipes that seem on my buffet desk.
Do you might have any favorite nostalgic desserts?
Now I’ve had this trifle once more, I am dreaming of blancmange, syrup sponge and rice pudding. Not forgetting these shop-bought classics – viennetta, arctic roll and Angel Delight (butterscotch flavour was the most effective!).
🍲 Extra unbelievable Desserts
Keep up to date with new recipes!
Subscribe to the e-newsletter to listen to after I put up a brand new recipe. I’m additionally on YouTube (new movies each week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes tales & stunning meals images).
Nan’s correct sherry trifle
Layers of jam swiss roll and raspberries in jelly, sherry-soaked swiss roll, custard, whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles!
Slice up 2 of the swiss rolls into 1cm thick slices. Use it to line the facet of a 3.5 litre trifle dish – only one layer. When you’ve got any left over, put to at least one facet and canopy for now. We’ll use it later.
3 x 190g (3 x 6.7oz) jam swiss rolls
Add the raspberries to the centre of the trifle dish.
200 g (7 oz) recent raspberries
Slice up the jelly cubes and place in a bowl or jug. Add 400ml of boiling water and stir collectively till the jelly cubes have dissolved.
2 x 135g (2 x 4.8oz) packs of raspberry jelly cubes
Add 500ml of chilly water and stir collectively.
Pour this jelly combination into the trifle dish, over the raspberries and swiss roll.
Place the fridge to set for not less than 4 hours (as much as 2 days)
As soon as the jelly has set, take it out of the fridge.
Chop the remaining swiss rolls into chunky items – approx. 1-1.5cm cubed. Place in a bowl and drizzle over the sherry – strive to make sure a bit little bit of sherry will get onto each bit.
3 tbsp sherry
Prepare the sponge items excessive of the jelly and place again within the fridge when you make the custard.
Place the custard powder, sugar and 4 tbsp of the milk right into a saucepan. Stir collectively to kind a paste.
70 g (7 degree tbsp) custard powder, 70 g (5.5 degree tbsp) caster sugar, 1 litre (1.75 pints) full-fat milk
Now slowly pour within the remaining milk, whereas stirring, till absolutely combined collectively.
Put the warmth on beneath the pan and warmth over a medium warmth, stirring continually with a whisk or picket spoon, till the custard thickens (make sure to hold stirring, in any other case the custard can catch and burn on the backside of the pan). It’s going to thicken fairly shortly simply because it’s beginning to method boiling level.
As quickly because it thickens, flip off the warmth.
Depart to chill to room temperature – about 20-Half-hour. If you wish to forestall any pores and skin forming, place a bit of clingfilm on prime (touching all uncovered components of the custard) when cooling.
Take away the clingfilm and provides the custard a stir. Take the trifle out of the fridge and pour/spoon the custard excessive, to utterly cowl the sponge items in custard.
Place again within the fridge for 1 hour to sit back the custard (once more, cowl with clingfilm if you happen to want to forestall a pores and skin forming. That is elective).
Add the whipping cream to a big bowl or stand mixer. Whisk utilizing a hand whisk or the whisk attachment in your stand mixer till you get to the tender peaks stage (the creamy ought to look tender, thick and pillowy, and can simply keep on a spoon if you happen to flip a spoonful of it upside-down.
600 ml (2.5 cups) whipping cream
Add the vanilla extract after which sift over the icing sugar. Whisk once more for just a few seconds to mix the vanilla and icing sugar into the cream.
1 tsp vanilla extract, 30 g (4.5 degree tbsp) icing sugar
Spoon the cream excessive of the trifle in huge dollops.
Sprinkle over the rainbow sprinkles, then serve.
1 tbsp rainbow sprinkles
Alternatively, cowl with clingfilm and refrigerate till able to eat (it ought to hold for two days). Should you’re refrigerating it for greater than a few hours, I would go away the sprinkles off till you’re nearly to serve – as the color from the sprinkles will ‘bleed’ into the cream if left for too lengthy.
There are various British-isms on this recipe, so I will attempt to decipher for these of you within the US. Should you assume i’ve acquired one thing mistaken, please let me know within the feedback.
- Jam Swiss Rolls – similar as jelly roll cake – it ought to simply be a skinny sponge rolled up with jelly (we name is jam within the UK), no cream or something extra in there.
- Jelly – similar as your Jell-O. I am utilizing cubes on this recipe.
- Caster Sugar – similar as your superfine sugar
- Icing/Confectioners’ sugar – similar as your powdered sugar
I take advantage of this 3.5 litre trifle dish (<– affiliate hyperlink).
Should you’re within the US, this hyperlink ought to take you to an identical one to the one I take advantage of, it is a bit smaller, at 3 liters, however will nonetheless work advantageous.
My trifle dish is peak 18cm, prime diameter 23cm.
- Swap raspberries for strawberries (you can even swap the raspberry flavoured jam swiss roll and jelly for strawberry flavoured)
- Swap the swiss roll to your favorite sponge. A plain or jam sponge works finest (versus chocolate/cream fillings)
- Swap the sprinkles for a topping of your alternative – kirsch cherries, recent berries, flaked almonds, grated chocolate – all make nice toppings
- Swap the sherry for an additional spirit/liqueur – cherry brandy, amaretto, spiced rum and calvados are nice choices
Sizing down this recipe
You may halve and even quarter this recipe to serve 4-6 folks – sticking to the identical ingredient ratios.
You have to a smaller dish (1 litre for 4 folks, 1.5-2 litre for six folks).
Alternatively, you can also make in small particular person dishes. Should you’re doing this, you will not be capable of line the sting of the dish all the best way round with jam sponge – as it can take up an excessive amount of area. You may easy add chunks of jam sponge in with the raspberries and canopy with jelly.
This trifle ought to hold effectively, coated, within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Dietary data is approximate, per serving, primarily based on this recipe serving 12 folks.
Energy: 496kcalCarbohydrates: 66gProtein: 9gFats: 23gSaturated Fats: 14gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 6gLdl cholesterol: 131mgSodium: 437mgPotassium: 285mgFiber: 1gSugar: 47gVitamin A: 970IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 191mgIron: 2mg
Among the hyperlinks on this put up could also be affiliate hyperlinks – which implies if you happen to purchase the product I get a small fee (at no further value to you). Should you do purchase, then thanks! That’s what helps us to maintain Kitchen Sanctuary working. The dietary data supplied is approximate and may fluctuate relying on a number of components. For extra data please see our Phrases & Circumstances.