Tremendous aromatic and fluffy, this simple cumin Jeera rice is loaded with heat spices like cinnamon and star anise. It’s the proper Indian rice aspect whenever you’re in search of a little bit of added consolation.
Straightforward Home made Jeera Rice Recipe
Studded with earthy spices, this cumin rice packs all of the perfume and aroma your Indian meals want. Each chunk is stuffed with heat, cozy flavors from the mixture of star anise, cinnamon, and cumin.
With a 30-minute cooking time and easy directions, this rice nonetheless manages to return out good and fluffy. The key is in letting it soak earlier than including it to the pot. After that, bloom the attractive spices and watch your kitchen remodel into a conventional Indian restaurant.
Topped with recent coriander for a pop of shade, Jeera rice, aka jeera bhaat, will change into your new favourite aspect for lunch and dinner. Recent or frozen and thawed, it’s a comforting bowl of rice you’ll all the time take pleasure in.
What Is Jeera Rice?
“Jeera” means “cumin” in Hindi, so jeera rice is basically an Indian rice dish seasoned with cumin seeds. Spices and aromatics like entire cloves, star anise, and cinnamon add extra taste. As a result of its specific spice mixture, it’s finest with different Indian sides and dishes.
It’s simple to make and is an on a regular basis aspect in most Indian households.
Time to inventory that spice cupboard! Try the recipe card on the backside of the submit for full ingredient quantities.
- Basmati rice
- Ghee: Vegetable, corn, and canola oil work too. Unsalted butter is an effective substitute as properly.
- Indian bay leaves: Common bay leaves work too.
- Cumin seeds
- Entire cloves
- Cinnamon stick
- Strand mace: It’s an fragrant spice utilized in Center Jap and Indian meals. In the event you can’t discover it at a specialty baking retailer or on-line, you may substitute it for a tiny pinch of floor nutmeg (lower than 1/4 teaspoon.)
- Inexperienced cardamom pods
- Black cardamom pods: You may substitute these for inexperienced cardamom pods if wanted.
- Star anise
- Inexperienced chili
- Low-sodium veggie broth: Be happy to make use of water as a substitute.
- Recent coriander
Do I Have To Use Basmati Rice?
Not essentially. Jasmine rice is a good substitute! Most sorts of long-grain white rice will work for this recipe too. Don’t use short-grain white rice, although.
How one can Make Jeera Rice
Making cumin rice is like making every other form of seasoned rice. It’s simple! Don’t overlook to learn the Ideas part for some further steerage.
To Wash and Put together the Rice
- Rinse the rice. Place the rice in a big container and canopy it with water. Stir the rice for two minutes. Pressure it after which repeat the method 2-3 extra instances till the water is sort of clear. Pressure it and set it apart.
- Soak the rice. Add the rice again into the container and canopy it with a minimum of 3″ of heat water. Let it relaxation for 1 hour. Pressure it and set it apart.
For the Cumin Rice
- Bloom the spices. Soften the ghee in a pot over medium warmth. Add the Indian bay leaves, cumin seeds, entire cloves, cinnamon stick, strand mace, inexperienced cardamom, black cardamom, and star anise. Stir continuously and cook dinner the spices for two minutes or till aromatic. Add the inexperienced chili and blend to mix. Cook dinner for 1 extra minute.
- Add the rice. Switch the rice to the pot and gently unfold it out, stirring sometimes. Let it cook dinner for 3 minutes. Don’t transfer it round rather a lot or the rice grains will break up and break because the rice cooks.
- Add the broth. Pour the veggie broth in and add the salt. Stir gently. Style the broth and regulate the saltiness as wanted. Improve the warmth to excessive and produce the broth to a boil.
- Cook dinner it. As soon as it boils, cut back the warmth to medium-low and canopy the pot with a lid. Cook dinner the rice in response to bundle directions till the broth is absorbed. Take away the pot from the warmth and let it relaxation coated for one more 20 minutes.
- Fluff the rice. Take away the lid and add the coriander. Use a fork to softly fluff up the rice whereas mixing the coriander in. Let it relaxation for one more 5 minutes.
- Serve. Add it to your serving plates and luxuriate in it together with your predominant dish.
Ideas for Success
With the following tips, making Jeera rice and every other sort of rice shall be a breeze any further.
- Don’t rub it. When washing the rice, don’t rub it together with your fingers or the grains will break up throughout cooking.
- Keep away from sizzling water. When soaking the rice, don’t use sizzling or boiling water, in any other case, you’ll have an effect on the cooking time.
- Don’t serve it straight away. As soon as prepared, let the rice relaxation within the pot (coated) for a minimum of 20 minutes. In the event you skip this and serve it straight away, the rice shall be too moist.
- Skip the blooming. In the event you’re in a rush, you may skip the blooming and add all of the spices and aromatics into the pot whenever you pour within the veggie broth. Don’t overlook the ghee, although!
What to Serve With Indian Cumin Rice
Cumin rice is ideal with my Indian-style mains like Curry-Yogurt Marinated Hen Thighs and Sheet Pan Tandoori Hen. Don’t overlook to pair it with numerous veggie sides for a whole meal. I find it irresistible with some Candy and Spicy Carrots and Inexperienced Beans, Pan-Fried Oyster Mushrooms, Sesame Snap Peas, and Roasted Artichokes.
How one can Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Refrigerate this completely cooled cumin rice in an hermetic container for as much as 4 days. To reheat it, sprinkle it with a couple of teaspoons of water and stir it. Microwave the rice for as much as a minute or till heat.
- You may as well warmth it in a pan over medium-low warmth, sometimes stirring, for five to six minutes.
Can I Freeze Jeera Rice?
- Sure! As soon as absolutely cooled, switch the rice to freezer-friendly luggage in serving-size parts. Squeeze out as a lot air as doable. Freeze it for as much as 3 months. You may as well use freezer-friendly containers, however the probabilities of freezer burn are a lot increased, affecting the feel of the rice.
- Thaw the rice in a single day within the fridge a day earlier than serving. Reheat it as typical.
Extra Rice Facet Dishes
Place the rice in a big container and canopy it with water. Use your fingers to stir the rice for two minutes. Pressure it after which repeat the method 2 to three extra instances till the water is sort of clear. Drain.
Add the rice again into the container and canopy it with a minimum of 3 inches of heat water. Let it relaxation for 1 hour. Pressure it and set it apart.
Soften the ghee in a pot set over medium warmth. Add the bay leaves, cumin seeds, entire cloves, cinnamon stick, mace, inexperienced cardamom, black cardamom, and star anise. Stir continuously and cook dinner the spices for two minutes or till aromatic. Add the inexperienced chili and blend to mix. Cook dinner for 1 extra minute.
Add the rice to the pot and gently unfold it out, stirring sometimes. Let it cook dinner for 3 minutes.
Pour the veggie broth in and add the salt. Stir gently. Style the broth and regulate the saltiness as wanted. Improve the warmth to excessive and produce the broth to a boil.
As soon as it boils, cut back the warmth to medium-low and canopy the pot with a lid. Cook dinner the rice in response to bundle directions. Take away the pot from the warmth and let it relaxation coated for one more 20 minutes.
Take away the lid and add the coriander. Use a fork to softly fluff up the rice whereas mixing the coriander in. Let it relaxation for one more 5 minutes.
Add it to your serving plates and luxuriate in it together with your predominant dish.
- Rice: Jeera (cumin) rice is sort of all the time ready with Basmati rice, however you may also use Jasmine rice or long-grain white rice.
- Indian Bay Leaves: You should utilize common bay leaves if that’s all you might have.
- Ghee is clarified butter – butter that has been simmered and strained to take away all of the water.
- Cumin Seeds: You should utilize 1/2 teaspoon of floor cumin to exchange 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Strand of Mace: Mace is derived from the coating of the nutmeg seed. You should utilize about 1/8 teaspoon of floor nutmeg in the event you don’t have mace.
- Inexperienced Chili: You solely want one small inexperienced chili pepper, however be happy to make use of a couple of teaspoon of canned inexperienced chilis.
Energy: 346 kcal | Carbohydrates: 59 g | Protein: 6 g | Fats: 9 g | Saturated Fats: 5 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.5 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3 g | Ldl cholesterol: 22 mg | Sodium: 597 mg | Potassium: 126 mg | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 1 g | Vitamin A: 49 IU | Vitamin C: 1 mg | Calcium: 41 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Web Carbs: 57 g
Dietary data is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might differ in response to the components and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed data.