This Greek brown rice salad is given a Mediterranean twist with cherry tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, creamy feta, and Kalamata olives.
Greek salad and all of it’s salty, crunchy, creamy, briny goodness is one in all my go-to favourite methods to serve complete grains. Not many dishes help you serve such all kinds of components in a single – corn, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, and chickpeas are only a few of the components that come collectively in my scrumptious Greek Brown Rice Salad.
- Brown rice: Complete grain and an important supply of fiber together with many different vitamins in comparison with white rice, I additionally just like the chewy texture it offers the dish.
- Chickpeas: Additionally known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas are a implausible supply of protein, and are simply accessible as canned chickpeas work nice on this salad!
- Cherry tomatoes: Roasted or contemporary, I like each on this salad, as every preparation provides its personal twist of taste.
- Cucumber: Gentle and barely candy in taste, cucumber is hydrating and stuffed with nutritional vitamins, in addition to a typical Greek ingredient.
- Scallions: Additionally known as inexperienced onions, they provide a a lot milder onion taste whereas nonetheless including freshness to the salad.
- Corn: Provides a candy little crunch to the salad, and you need to use contemporary, frozen, or canned!
- Feta cheese: A tender, crumbly cheese that’s tangy and salty in style, and could be very Greek in affiliation.
- Kalamata olives: Named after the town in Greece the place they originate, they’re wealthy and fruity in taste in comparison with your typical black olive.
- Lemon: Needs to be no shock how a lot I like the style of lemon, so I take advantage of lemon zest and lemon juice to assist make the dressing of the rice salad.
- Olive oil: Coronary heart wholesome and delicate in taste, it’s the right base for any salad, together with rice ones.
- Oregano: Dried oregano is a bit milder than contemporary, however nonetheless provides earthy, peppery notes.
- Mint: Dried mint, against dried oregano, is definitely a bit stronger at occasions, and rather less candy. However nonetheless aids to giving that Mediterranean, Greek twist to this rice salad.
- Garlic: Nutty, pungent, and fragrant style that helps to decorate the salad.
The best way to Make a Greek Brown Rice Salad
Begin your Greek Brown Rice Salad by roasting your tomatoes (if desired) and cooking your rice in keeping with bundle directions. Then add them to a big bowl.
Subsequent you’ll add the chopped cucumbers, chickpeas, scallions, and corn.
Adopted by the Kalamata olives and feta cheese.
Then season with dried oregano, mint, and a few salt and pepper for style.
Subsequent you’ll costume the salad with a drizzle of olive oil.
Then the zest of a lemon.
After which juice the identical lemon, being positive to catch any seeds.
Lastly, use a microplane to freshly grate in some garlic and stir till mixed and every thing is evenly coated within the dressing.
Add extra salt and pepper to style, then serve and revel in your Greek Brown Rice Salad!
- Don’t like olives? I extremely suggest attempting Kalamata olives, as they’ve a really completely different style than the standard black olives, however you possibly can omit them and nonetheless have a really tasty salad!
- Make it dairy free. Skip the feta cheese or substitute it with a soy or rice copycat.
Regularly Requested Questions:
Does rice salad freeze?
This rice salad will likely be good within the fridge for 3-4 days, or you may freeze it! The tomatoes are the one ingredient that may thaw out to be a bit mushy.
What grains are good for salads?
Brown rice is my favourite go-to grain. However different choices embody bulgur wheat, spelt, farro, or freekeh.
How do you retailer the leftovers?
Stored in an hermetic container, this salad will preserve for two to three days. Chances are you’ll want so as to add extra dressing because the rice will proceed to soak up.
Complimentary Primary Dishes
Did you do that salad and like it? The following time you make it, snap an image and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we will admire and share your dish.
Whether or not you’re searching for a wholesome lunch or a scrumptious aspect for dinner, my Greek Brown Rice Salad will make sure to please.
Your fork is ready.
Greek Brown Rice Salad
This brown rice salad is given a Greek twist with cherry tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, creamy feta, and Kalamata olives.
- 1 cup brown rice (ready)
- 1 cup chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (roasted or contemporary see under for instructions on roasting)
- 1 cup cucumber (diced)
- ½ cup scallions (minced)
- ½ cup corn (contemporary, frozen, leftover grilled, and so on.)
- ¼ cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- 1 Zest and juice of lemon
- 1 tablespoon additional virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- Salt and pepper to style
If you would like to roast your tomatoes, minimize them in half and layer on a sheet pan. Drizzle in olive oil and a few salt and pepper, then roast within the oven at 400 for half-hour.
In a medium bowl, mix brown rice with tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, scallions, corn, feta and olives.
Stir in lemon juice, zest, olive oil, oregano, mint, garlic, salt and pepper.
Verify for seasoning and regulate accordingly. Serve and revel in!
Energy: 234kcalCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 8.6gFats: 8.6gSaturated Fats: 1.9gPolyunsaturated Fats: 6.2gLdl cholesterol: 5mgSodium: 300mgFiber: 6gSugar: 3.5g