Wrapped in heat corn tortillas, these crunchy Mahi Mahi fish tacos are completely tender, flaky, and crispy all on the identical time. Served with creamy and spicy toppings, they’re an explosion of flavors and textures.
Straightforward Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos
With Spring Break proper across the nook, these mahi mahi fish tacos are simply what it is advisable get right into a tropical, coastal temper. Packed along with your favourite toppings, this recipe is an thrilling seafood fiesta in your belleh!
Dipped right into a seasoned home made batter and deep fried till golden, you’ll love how juicy and tender the fish is regardless of the crispy exterior. Served in corn tortillas like genuine fish tacos, these are manner higher than something you will discover at eating places— and tremendous fast to make.
Drizzled with chipotle mayo and topped with shredded cabbage, these mahi mahi fish tacos are a pop of coloration in your plate that’ll have you ever biting into them continuous. Prepped forward for a fast lunch, they’ll be your new favourite meal with tropical trip vibes this spring.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
Listed below are a few causes you’ll be making these fish tacos weekly (or virtually weekly):
- Prep-friendly. You may put together the fish, chipotle mayo, and toppings prematurely so that every one it is advisable do is assemble the tacos when it’s time for lunch or dinner.
- Crowd-pleaser. With quite a lot of crunchy, creamy, and spicy toppings, this recipe can be a make-it-your-own meal that everybody will love.
- Straightforward. There aren’t any fancy components or difficult methods for these tacos. It’s a straightforward meal.
What You’ll Want
It’s all about easy components for these tacos. Try the recipe card on the backside of the submit for full ingredient quantities.
To Make the Batter
- All-purpose flour: Don’t use bread or cake flour for this.
- Cornstarch: Attempt to not swap this out for extra flour; in any other case, the batter received’t be as mild and ethereal.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Pink pepper flakes
For the Fish
- Mahi Mahi fish fillets: If you should purchase them boneless and skinless, it’s going to prevent loads of time.
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil: Corn and canola oil may also work.
For the Chipotle Mayo
- Mayonnaise: Low-fat works too.
- Chipotle in adobo: Any chipotle sauce is an efficient substitute.
To Make the Tacos
- Corn tortillas: Don’t use flour tortillas for this.
- Inexperienced cabbage: Purple cabbage is a good substitute and provides a pleasant pop of coloration. Be at liberty to make use of a mix of them.
- Sizzling sauce: You can even use your favourite salsa.
What’s Mahi Mahi?
Mahi Mahi is the Hawaiian identify for dolphinfish or dorado. It’s a saltwater species that prefers heat waters. Because of this, it’s generally discovered within the Caribbean, Mediterranean, and South Pacific. It’s additionally a lean, agency, and chicken fish that doesn’t have a powerful fishy taste. Mahi-mahi is ideal for marinating, grilling, and frying as a result of it doesn’t disintegrate simply.
The way to Make Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos
Prepping forward is the important thing to rapidly throwing these tacos collectively on a weekday.
For the Fish
- Make the batter. Whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, garlic powder, dried oregano, and crimson pepper flakes in a medium-sized bowl till nicely mixed. Add half of the water and blend nicely. Add extra water as wanted to regulate the consistency. It needs to be barely thicker than pancake batter. Set it apart.
- Season the fish. Season the mahi mahi with salt and pepper to style on all sides.
- Put together the oil. Pour the vegetable oil right into a medium-sized pot over medium-high warmth. Let it warmth for about 4 minutes. In the meantime, decrease the mahi mahi items into the batter. Stir them round till they’re utterly coated.
- Fry them. Take one battered fish and dip the tip into the oil. If it sizzles straight away, it’s prepared. Gently decrease a few battered mahi mahi items into the oil. Allow them to fry for 30 seconds on all sides or as much as 1 minute till golden brown. Take away them from the oil and set them on a paper towel-lined plate or cooling rack. Slice it in half and test for doneness. It ought to flake and be utterly opaque on the within. The thicker the fish, the longer the cooking time. Alter the frying time as wanted by rising or reducing it. You can even decrease the warmth as wanted. Let the oil reheat for 30 seconds earlier than frying the following batch.
To Make the Tacos
- Make the chipotle mayo. Whisk the mayonnaise and chipotle till you get a easy combination. Alter the flavour to style. Add extra mayonnaise for a milder sauce, and extra chipotle for a spicier one.
- Warmth the tortillas. Place the tortillas on a griddle or comal over medium-low warmth. Allow them to warmth on all sides for 1-2 minutes or till heat. Take away them from the warmth.
- Serve. Place the tortillas on a serving plate. Moreover, place the fried fish, shredded cabbage, and shredded carrots on separate plates too. Let everybody assemble their very own tacos with a tortilla, fish, and their favourite toppings. Add chipotle mayo and scorching sauce to style.
Suggestions & Variation Concepts
The following pointers and variations will make it easier to make the absolute best mahi mahi fish tacos.
- Use different kinds of fish. Tilapia and halibut are wonderful substitutes when you’re out of mahi-mahi.
- Use baking powder and soda. Though including one or the opposite may be tempting, it’s essential to add each if you’d like the batter to fizz up. It’s the one manner it’ll be good and ethereal when frying.
- Make chipotle coleslaw. Mixing the chipotle mayo with the cabbage and carrots may give you a 2-in-1 chipotle coleslaw topping.
- Add extra toppings. Pickled crimson onions, cilantro, and even diced mango are nice toppings for extra taste.
- Use breaded fish. You should use common breaded fish whenever you don’t have sufficient time to make the batter and fry the fish.
Don’t retailer totally assembled mahi mahi fish tacos as a result of they’ll soften an excessive amount of. The tortilla may also break whenever you attempt to choose up the tacos after reheating. You wish to retailer the taco components individually if there are any extras.
- Refrigerate the chipotle mayo in an hermetic container for as much as 7 days.
- The shredded cabbage and carrots will be refrigerated for as much as 5 days.
- The fried fish will be refrigerated for as much as 3 days.
- Not one of the toppings have to be reheated, solely the fish. You may microwave it for as much as a minute or till heat. You can even warmth it in a pan over medium warmth for two to three minutes on all sides. Assemble the tacos as ordinary.
Extra Wholesome Fish Recipes to Attempt
Whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, garlic powder, dried oregano, and crimson pepper flakes in a medium-sized bowl till nicely mixed. Add half of the water and blend nicely. Add extra water as wanted to regulate the consistency. Set it apart.
Season the fish with salt and pepper on all sides.
Pour the vegetable oil right into a medium-sized pot and set it over medium-high warmth. Let it warmth for 3 to 4 minutes. If it begins to smoke, scale back the warmth barely.
In the meantime, add the mahi mahi items to the batter. Stir them round till they’re fully coated.
- Take one battered fish and dip the tip into the oil; if it sizzles, the oil is able to fry the fish. Gently decrease a couple of battered mahi-mahi items into the recent oil. Don’t crowd the pan. Fry the fish for 30 seconds on all sides or as much as 1 minute till golden brown.
Take away fish from the oil and set them on a paper towel-lined plate or cooling rack. Let the oil reheat for 30 seconds earlier than frying the following batch.
Within the meantime, whisk collectively the mayonnaise and chipotle till you get a easy combination. Put aside.
- Place the tortillas on a griddle or comal set over medium-low warmth. Allow them to warmth for 1 to 2 minutes on all sides or till heat. Take away them from the warmth.
Place the tortillas on a serving plate. Additionally, place the fried fish, shredded cabbage, and carrots on separate plates.
Let everybody assemble their tacos with a tortilla, fish, and favourite toppings.
Prime with chipotle mayo and scorching sauce to style.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.
- Fish: Mahi-Mahi is a superb fish for tacos, however you may as well use any lean and flaky white fish fillets like tilapia, halibut, snapper, and so forth… In case you are pressed for time, you need to use store-bought battered fish.
- Coleslaw: Gentle and tangy coleslaw is an ideal companion to fish tacos, however you may as well use pickled onions, jalapeno slices, mango, and no matter else you get pleasure from.
- Tortillas: Corn tortillas are essentially the most genuine alternative for fish tacos, however when you desire flour tortillas, be happy to make use of these as an alternative.
- You may put together the fish, chipotle mayo, and toppings prematurely so that every one it is advisable do is assemble the tacos when it’s time to eat.
- The fried fish will be refrigerated for as much as 3 days.
Energy: 513 kcal | Carbohydrates: 25 g | Protein: 6 g | Fats: 44 g | Saturated Fats: 7 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 25 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 10 g | Trans Fats: 0.3 g | Ldl cholesterol: 12 mg | Sodium: 166 mg | Potassium: 243 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 1 g | Vitamin A: 1173 IU | Vitamin C: 5 mg | Calcium: 68 mg | Iron: 1 mg | Web Carbs: 22 g
Dietary information is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values could differ based on the components and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed information.