One of many surest, most uplifting indicators of summer season: traditional Rhubarb Pie! This model is tangy and candy, and it lets the tart taste of rhubarb shine! A flaky, buttery pie crust brings all of it collectively.
Why You’ll Love This Outdated Normal Rhubarb Pie
- It screams SUMMER! On the finish of dreary winter, vibrant rhubarb is particularly cheery. It’s a number of the first produce to hit the farmer’s market. If it hasn’t arrived the place you reside but, this pie works nice with frozen rhubarb.
- The Proper Quantity of Sugar. It is a rhubarb pie is for rhubarb lovers. As a substitute of cups of sugar that drown out the rhubarb, this pie makes use of a extra reasonable quantity so the rhubarb could be its vibrant, tangy self. It’s nonetheless candy sufficient to style like dessert.
- It Begins With a Profitable Crust. My Entire Wheat Pie Crust is a reader-favorite—as buttery and flaky as you desire a pie crust to be, made simple within the meals processor. You may swap your favourite pie crust (or use store-bought to hurry issues up).
- Simple to Put Collectively. You don’t should be a grasp baker to make this tasty deal with—you don’t have to precook the filling, and it’s easy sufficient for newbies. You may wow with the lattice prime if you wish to go the additional mile, nevertheless it’s simply as scrumptious with out it.
- It’s the Greatest Solution to Get pleasure from Rhubarb. Rhubarb lovers unite! That is the dessert for having fun with rhubarb in all of its tart-and-tangy glory.
About This Rhurbab Pie Recipe
Rhubarb seems to be like a ruby-red model of celery, however as an alternative of a gentle, recent taste, these rosy stalks pack a severe tart punch!
That tart taste might be why rhubarb is so usually paired with candy strawberries in recipes, a la my Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp. (In fact, the truth that each strawberries and rhubarb are harvested across the similar time helps too.)
That stated, I really like traditional rhubarb pie with out the strawberries’ intervening.
It’s received its personal tasty thang goin’ and deserves to be appreciated (save these recent strawberries for this Simple Strawberry Pie).
When rhubarb is used by itself, it’s usually doused in sugar—so! a lot! sugar! This overcomes the mouth-puckering sourness, nevertheless it additionally overpowers the distinctive taste that makes rhubarb such a delight.
Make Rhubarb Scones, Rhubarb Ice Cream, and this home made rhubarb pie with simply sufficient sugar to make the rhubarb palatable and yummy, with out utterly negating its particular pure tartness.
How one can Make Rhubarb Pie
- Pie Crust. I take advantage of my Darn Good Entire Wheat Pie Crust, however you possibly can substitute your individual go-to pie dough recipe—simply be certain you’ve received sufficient dough to make a prime and backside crust (or you may make a rhubarb crumble crust together with your favourite crumble topping).
- Rhubarb. Use recent rhubarb stalks or frozen.
- Granulated Sugar. You may add extra sugar in the event you’d like, however my testers agreed that 3/4 cup was the right quantity for balancing the sweet-and-tart flavors on this rhubarb pie recipe.
- All-Goal Flour. Because the rhubarb bakes, it is going to launch juices; the flour helps thicken them for an ideal jammy filling.
- Kosher Salt. Only a bit for steadiness.
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg. Elective, however freshly grated nutmeg is absolutely one thing particular. It is going to give the pie a really delicate heat.
- Unsalted Butter. Dot on prime of your fruit pie filling to make it shiny (and delish).
- Egg. Beat it with a little bit of water to make an egg wash for that bakery-style sheen.
- Turbinado Sugar. Or one other coarse sugar you have got available like Demerara.
- Whipped Cream. I believe rhubarb pie is finest loved by itself, or with a dollop of whipped cream on prime of the pie. Whereas I usually adore my pies a la mode, rhubarb pie I desire with out vanilla ice cream, which may conflict (however you do you!).
- Make the Pie Crust. Divide the dough into two parts with one somewhat bit bigger than the opposite. Chill as directed.
- Roll the Crusts. Place the larger one in a daily 9-inch pie dish.
- Make the Filling. Toss collectively all the substances in a big bowl.
- Assemble. Add the remaining sugar to the crust, then pour within the filling, prime with the butter, and add the highest crust. Do a lattice or one other geometric form in the event you really feel fancy!
- Egg Wash. This offers the pie a fairly sheen. Milk or cream work too.
- Bake. You’ll do that at 2 temperatures. Begin rhubarb pie at 425 levels F for quarter-hour, then proceed baking at 375 levels F for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Cool. Let the pie cool utterly. It’s onerous however value it. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Wrap cooled rhubarb pie with foil or plastic wrap, or switch leftovers to an hermetic container. Retailer at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
- To Freeze. Freeze for as much as 2 months and let the pie thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
What to Serve with Rhubarb Pie
- Different Spring Desserts. When you’re placing collectively dessert choices for a celebration, attempt pairing rhubarb pie with Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie or Strawberry Cake.
- Gentle Predominant Dishes. Wholesome spring dishes like Inexperienced Goddess Salad will allow you to save room for dessert!
- Easy Toppings. A dollop of whipped cream is absolutely all you might want to make this rustic rhubarb pie shine. Or get pleasure from all of it by itself.
- Pie Plate. A glass one is nice so you possibly can keep watch over how the crust is browning.
- Rolling Pin. For rolling out the highest and backside crusts.
- Pie Crust Defend. Though strips of foil work, in the event you bake lots of pies, you’ll be glad you invested in a pie crust protect. I take advantage of mine usually!
Recipe Suggestions & Tips
- Hold an Eye on the Crust. If the sides are browning too rapidly, place strips of foil over them or add a pie crust guard.
- Make the Positive the Coarse Sugar Sticks. When you don’t use the egg wash, you possibly can substitute half-and-half, cream, or milk. With out one among these, the coarse sugar gained’t keep put.
- Don’t Neglect the Vents. They’re vital for letting the steam escape. If the steam is caught contained in the pie crust, you’ll find yourself with a soggy rhubarb pie.
- Let the Pie Cool. It’s onerous to be affected person when you have got a heat rhubarb pie staring you within the face, however you will need to resist! Slicing into the pie too quickly gives you messy slices that ooze out in every single place.
- 1 double crust Darn Good Entire Wheat Pie Crust or your favourite pie crust or store-bought crust (sufficient for two, 10-inch rounds)
- 5 cups sliced rhubarb about 1 1/3 kilos; if frozen, don’t thaw
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar*, divided
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg non-compulsory
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter reduce into small items
- 1 massive egg overwhelmed with 1 teaspoon water for an egg wash**
- 1 tablespoon turbinado or related coarse sugar
- Whipped cream*** non-compulsory for serving
Put together the pie crust and chill for 1 hour as directed (or as much as 2 days). When able to bake, place a rack within the middle of your oven preheat to 425°F.
Divide the dough in two, making one half barely bigger than the opposite. Return the smaller half to the fridge.
On a reasonably floured work floor (I like to make use of a bit of parchment or wax paper so I can simply transfer the dough), roll out the bigger half right into a 12-inch circle (if it’s too stiff from being within the fridge, let it relaxation at room temperature for a couple of minutes, till you possibly can roll it). When rolling, all the time work from the middle of the dough outward, rotating the dough every so often as you go (this gives you a greater, extra even circle, much less tearing, and also you’ll be capable to gauge if the dough is sticking to your work floor, which you don’t want). Work quick, as a result of the dough will get sticky because it warms. Flour the work floor and your rolling pin as little as is manageable (however don’t be afraid to make use of flour if dough is sticking). If at any level the dough will get too sticky to deal with, simply pop it again within the fridge to agency up for a couple of minutes (that is the place the parchment paper turns out to be useful). You probably have any tears or cracks alongside the way in which, don’t stress. Simply patch them collectively.
Switch the dough to a daily 9-inch pie plate (not deep dish)—I prefer to fold the circle over the rolling pin, then use the rolling pin to unfurl it gently into the plate. Ease the dough down into the plate (don’t pull to stretch it or it is going to bounce again). Pop into the freezer.
On a sheet of parchment or wax paper, roll out the second (smaller) portion of dough in an 11-inch circle; in the event you’d prefer to make a lattice, reduce it into 1-inch strips. Use the paper to position it within the fridge when you put together the filling.
In a big bowl, stir collectively the rhubarb, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, salt, and nutmeg.
Take away the underside crust from the freezer. Sprinkle the remaining 1 teaspoon granulated sugar over the underside. With a big spoon, switch all the rhubarb combination (together with any juices if the rhubarb is recent or dry bits of flour and sugar if it’s frozen) to the plate, spreading it into a good layer.
Scatter the butter excessive of the rhubarb filling.
Drape the highest crust over the filling (or organize the lattice). Trim the pie crust to 1/2-inch overhang all the way in which round. Tuck the highest crust underneath the underside crust. Crimp the sides together with your fingers (or maintain it simple and easily press alongside the sides with the tines of a fork). If not utilizing a lattice, with a pointy knife, reduce 5 to six vents within the prime.
Use a dry brush to brush away any extra flour from the crust, then brush the crust throughout with the eggwash.
Place the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar. Bake on the middle rack at 425°F for quarter-hour, then scale back the temperature to 375°F. Proceed baking till the crust is deep golden and also you see bits of filling effervescent out of the vents, about 50 to 55 minutes extra, rotating the pan 180° midway by way of (in case your rhubarb was frozen, you would possibly want to increase the baking time by 10 minutes or extra). If at any level, the crust edges get too darkish, protect the sides with foil or a pie crust guard.
Let the pie cool at room temperature COMPLETELY! (This may take at the least 4 hours and is difficult however value it). Slice and luxuriate in with whipped cream, or nothing in any respect!
- *The quantity of sugar as written yields a tart, rhubarb-forward pie that we and our style testers liked. When you like your pie sweeter, add an extra 1/4 cup.
- **When you desire to not use an egg, you possibly can brush the crust with half-and-half, cream, or milk.
- ***Whereas I often adore my fruit pies a la mode, rhubarb really tastes higher with out ice cream. When you’d prefer to prime it, serve with whipped cream.
- TO STORE: Wrap cooled rhubarb pie with foil or plastic wrap, or switch leftovers to an hermetic container. Retailer at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze for as much as 2 months and let the pie thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
Serving: 1 ( of 8)Energy: 325kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 5gFats: 18gSaturated Fats: 6gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 9gTrans Fats: 0.1gLdl cholesterol: 27mgPotassium: 286mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 155IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 82mgIron: 2mg
Be part of immediately and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.
Regularly Requested Questions
No, you don’t need to cook dinner rhubarb earlier than baking it right into a pie—it simply provides an additional pointless step to the method!
Some recipes name for tapioca or cornstarch, however I desire utilizing flour to thicken rhubarb pie. It retains the filling from getting a gummy texture, and I all the time have it available.
You don’t all the time have to peel rhubarb for pie, but when the stalks are very thick or stringy, it’s a good suggestion to both peel them or discard any components that really feel particularly fibrous. Normally, rhubarb harvested within the spring doesn’t should be peeled, whereas rhubarb from later within the season might be somewhat more durable.
No, you should utilize all the stalk of rhubarb, even components which are inexperienced. Simply remember to discard the leaves.
The mix of flour and sugar will assist thicken the rhubarb filling, and slicing vents into the highest crust will permit moisture to bake off. This, mixed with letting the pie relaxation till it cools utterly, ought to maintain your rhubarb pie from being runny.
In case you are baking a pie or crisp with frozen, chopped rhubarb, don’t thaw it first. Merely use it proper from the freezer, breaking apart any stuck-together items, then lengthen the baking time as wanted.
Listed below are some extra of my favourite summer season pie recipes: