Questioning how one can cook dinner kohlrabi? On the lookout for kohlrabi recipes and extra data on kohlrabi vitamin? I’ve bought you lined on this information to how one can put together kohlrabi.
Have you ever ever spied the intriguing vegetable kohlrabi in your grocery store or farmers market and questioned how one can cook dinner kohlrabi? You’re not alone! Kohlrabi is a wholesome, versatile, seasonal vegetable value attending to know higher. I like attempting much less acquainted greens in my plant-powered kitchen, and kohlrabi is one which you’ll find in farmers markets, residence gardens, and supermarkets within the cooler months.
Kohlrabi is a extremely nutritious vegetable, which is a part of the well-known cruciferous vegetable household, together with cabbage, cauliflower, kale and brussels sprouts. Often called the “German turnip” due to its resemblance to turnips, kohlrabi actually interprets to “cabbage turnip.” Initially from northern Europe, this distinctive wanting bulb was unknown within the U.S. till the early 1800s.
These pungent greens have phytochemicals which might be linked with most cancers safety. Wealthy in fiber, nutritional vitamins A, C, Ok and the Bs, you’ll be able to’t go improper with including this vegetable to your lineup.
What Does Kohlrabi Style Like?
Its taste, which is sort of a milder, sweeter turnip, has additionally been likened to broccoli stems. Make sure you eat them once they’re younger, as the flavour intensifies they usually toughen with age. The freshness of the connected greens is an efficient indicator of age, so attempt to discover kohlrabi with greens connected.
The best way to Put together Kohlrabi
Don’t be afraid of its uncommon, knobby look. Kohlrabi is made up of a bulb (normally pale white-green or purple) with stalks of leaves sprouting up. The best way to eat kohlrabi? If the greens are younger and contemporary, use them like different greens—uncooked in salads, sautéed, or steamed. You need to use the crunchy bulb in contemporary slaws or with dips; cooked in soups or stews; roasted such as you would possibly different greens, or sautéed in stir-fries or fritters.
Hold studying to discover ways to cook dinner kohlrabi and use it in your kitchen!
The best way to Cook dinner Kohlrabi
1. Roasted Kohlrabi. One in every of my favourite methods to get pleasure from kohlrabi is roasted. Lower into small, uniform chunks, roasting caramelizes them superbly, sweetening their taste deliciously. Toss them with olive oil, season evenly with salt and pepper, and add just a few herbs—I like the flavour of thyme right here—and end with a drizzle of your favourite vinegar in the event you like. Attempt them in my recipe, Roasted Kohlrabi with Pumpkin Seeds—garlic, cumin, pumpkin seeds, and white wine vinegar actually make them shine.
2. Get pleasure from it Uncooked. Reap the benefits of this veggie’s uncooked crunch! Sliced into discs or matchsticks, kohlrabi is a pleasant change served together with your favourite veggie dip. It additionally provides a novel kick to salads with its subtly spicy taste, much like a gentle radish. Undoubtedly give grated kohlrabi a go in slaws. Tossed with a great high quality olive oil and evenly seasoned, it’s so good, however attempt mixing in different slaw faves for coloration and taste, like I do in my recipe, Shaved Kohlrabi, Carrot, Radish Slaw.
3. Attempt Sautéing. That is the right method to make use of the entire veggie. Each the crunchy bulb and the tender greens might be utilized, complementing the totally different textures and related flavors every brings to the pan. Make sure you slice the bulb into small slices for faster cooking and add them to the pan forward of the greens, which simply want a brief wilt. Pleasant with lemon juice or mild vinegar, and a sprinkling of contemporary herbs or pine nuts, this can be a fast meal, excellent for weeknights.
4. Steam up a Batch. Kohlrabi is extremely versatile. Lower or slice as desired, steam, and most something goes. Add steamed kohlrabi to dishes, like stir fries, pasta, soups, and stews. It’s additionally enjoyable to mash them with cauliflower or potatoes.
5. Fry some Fritters. Who says you’ll be able to’t play together with your greens! Youngsters completely love fritters—as do adults, for that matter—and kohlrabi makes the perfect fritter. Grate the bulb and blend it right into a batter of flour or breadcrumbs. Bake or fry—frying provides them that good crisp exterior—and luxuriate in on their very own or together with your favourite dip or sauce, like cashew cream.
For different guides on utilizing seasonal produce, take a look at the next:
High 5 Methods to Use Candy Potatoes
High 5 Methods to Use Chickpeas
High 5 Methods to Use Jackfruit
High 5 Methods to Use Quinoa